In the traditional mnemonic PaRDeS, D’rash refers to is the level of interpretation and extrapolation. In the context of our Kaplanian educational resources, D’rash resources are those in which a core Kaplanian concept is made accessible through a concept or construct that carries the weight of realization of the value. Here the use of Kaplanian concepts is freer, more adaptive, and more interpretive than in the Peshat framework.
For example, the backbone of youth education in the Jewish Reconstructionist movement is the Values of Spiritual Peoplehood, which was derived from Kaplan’s observations about education in Judaism as Civilization.
Select Educational Resources* that are designed to teach a Kaplanian concept through Interpretation or Extrapolation
- Values Trail Mix* by Camp Havaya
- Aaron and the Wrath of God by Tuvya Ben Shlomo with Analysis by Dr. Jeffrey Schein
- TEL Program Overview and TEL Tikkun Olam Curriculum* by Rabbi Erin Hirsh & Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer
- The Values of Spiritual Peoplehood: The Mehayeh Metim of Mordecai Kaplan’s Educational Philosophy* by Rabbi Jeffrey Eisenstat and Dr. Jeffrey Schein
- Amphibious Jew by Dr. Jeffrey Schein
- Teen Exploration of God Beliefs by Dr. Jeffrey Schein
- The Burning Question: A Play* by Rabbi Erin Hirsh
- Faith In God After the Holocaust Simulation* by Dr. Jeffrey Schein
- In God’s Name Curriculum Guide* by Leah Mundell
- In God’s Name Matching Game by Rabbi Erin Hirsh
*Thank you to Reconstructing Judaism for graciously permitting the Kaplan Center to share these resources.